John Stott Howorth (1829-1893) bought the Fábrica de Loiça de Sacavém, which prospered. King D. Luis created him Baron Howorth de Sacavém (1885) and allowed the factory to be called the Real Fábrica de Loiça de Sacavém. On his death a partnership was formed with James Gilman and in 1921 Herbert Gilbert became a partner. His descendants owned and managed the factory until it was forced to close in 1994.
For more information, please see:
The Howorth and the Ellicot Families
Fábrica de Loiça de Sacavém and its British Connections
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER