Rev. H. Fulford Williams
Religion and Religious Institutions
John de Grandison (or Grandisson) was Bishop of Exeter from 1327 to his death in 1369. He was responsible for the building of most of the Exeter Cathedral Nave and commanded its West Front, finished by his successor, which included St Radegund’s Chapel, where he was buried. He willed his library and vestments to his successors. Somehow many of the vestments made their way to the Azores, where they are to be found in the former Jesuit Colégio de São Sebastião, now known as the Igreja de Todos-os-Santos in Ponta Delgada, and at Angra do Heroismo, capital of Terceira. The tradition of the vestments in the Azores is that they were taken there around 1580 by relatives of Bishop John Fisher of Rochester, who was executed by Henry VIII in 1535. The time of separation of the two groups of vestments is unknown.
Read full article here
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER