A. D. Francis
British Community and Family History
A detailed description of the arch in all its gilded splendour with a wealth of allegorical figures and Latin insciptions was published in Portuguese soon after the event (1). The donation of the arch was an early Lisbon Factory undertaking and the published description is typical of the kind of work favoured by Portuguese Academicians. They were soon to be grouped together by the foundation of the Royal Academy of History in 1720. No cost was spared to produce work glorifying the Royal House, and the Portuguese church and nation. It is significant that even such a work as this required the licence of the Holy Office for publication, a second licence to print, and a third - given by a board of four, headed by the Duke of Cadaval - to enable the work to be sold to the public, provided that the proper taxes were paid.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER