Macau had been an important base for the East India Company, as well as other British, Americans and Europeans trading with China, for over a century before the British community was allowed to open a consecrated Protestant cemetery in the city. Prior to that, burials were usually conducted in a “no man’s land” between the Portuguese city walls and the areas occupied by the Chinese. Prompted by the death of Mary, wife of the popular British missionary, Robert Morrison, the Portuguese agreed to the opening of a cemetery in 1821. This served the Protestant community until 1859 when a new cemetery was established. Since then, the original plot has been known as the “Old” Protestant Cemetery. The article looks at the history of the cemetery and its chapel, and discusses some of the more notable occupants.
The article can be downloaded here.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER