Schools and Other Institutions
The fashion for building Quintas «for taking the waters» between Lisbon and the Royal Summer Palace in Cascais was started by the Marquês de Pombal, Conde de Oeiras, who commissioned Carlos Mardel to build him a palace there in 1759. One of those who followed him was José Francisco da Cruz, Treasurer of the King of Portugal. He bought land from Morgado de Alagoa his neighbour and later the two families merged through marriage (coat of arms over the main entrance of the Palácio) and often entertained the King for luncheon when the latter was on his way to Cascais. The Palace was richly furnished and decorated and the chapel on the West wing was dedicated to Sto. António. The oval window and door to the chapel together with the family's first floor-section can still be seen. Some years after, Cable and Wireless took over the Quinta, the altar was restored to the Alagoa family and the 'azulejos' now ornament the main entrance to the Palácio.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER