L. C. D'O. Harmar
Religion and Religious Institutions
The «Cemitério inglês», as it is usually called, dates back to 1717, when the Association of English factors and merchants in Lisbon («The Factory») negotiated a perpetual lease - subject to the usual foros or quit rents - of a plot of land adjoining the grounds of the Benedictine Monastery of Estrela. This plot, measuring 60 yards East to West and 24 yards North to South, is the South-east corner of the Cemetery as it is today, immediately to the right of the present main gate. The Mortuary chapel and sexton's house that now occupy part of it were built much later.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER