Malcolm Howe, GCMW
From 1948 to 1970 Rui Dique Travassos Valdez (1892-1973) published his research which recorded the monumental heraldry of 309 graves in Lisbon cemeteries and included the British Cemetery at Estrela. The first Protestant burial ground was acquired in 1717 for the British Merchants in Lisbon but the earliest burial recorded in the registers is for Mary Paulsen on the 20th August 1721. The earliest surviving monument is that of Francis La Roche, who died on 8th February 1724 and was a Huguenot refugee, who had been in partnership with John Hayes and Paul Berthon. The Dutch purchased their own adjacent burial ground in 1723 and in 1729 jointly with the British added more land on the same site.
Illustration: Obelisk dedicated to George Croft (died 1874)
The article can be downloaded (pdf) here
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER