Pedro de Alvillez
The military role of the fortified town of Elvas and its outlying fortresses, the largest Portuguese fortified town, and currently the largest walled fortifications in Europe, was particularly important in the conflicts of 1640-1668, 1704-1715, and 1807-1814. However, it was during the latter, the Peninsular War fought against the invading Napoleonic forces in Portugal and Spain, that the British left the most archaeological testimony to their numerous combats.
The article (in pdf) can be downloaded here
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER