GUIDED WALK ALONG THE OEIRAS COAST
A journey through four centuries of history
Date and time: Saturday, 26th of June at 10.30. The walk will last a maximum of an hour and a half and is approximately 2km long.
Programme: The walk follows the coastal walkway along the seafront near Oeiras, stopping along the way to see and discuss various little-know sites of historic interest, spanning four centuries.
Starting at the Praia da Torre, we see where the Duke of Wellington had a series of jetties built as a potential disembarkation point during the Peninsular War, in the lee of Forte São Julião da Barra. We then walk underneath the 16th century Bateria de Feitoria, where the Colégio Militar was founded in 1803, the alma mater of D. Duarte de Bragança.
As we walk east, we pass the remains of the foundations of a port that was constructed on the orders of the Marquês do Pombal to transport locally quarried marble and stone to Lisbon to rebuild the city after the disastrous earthquake of 1755, as well as an abandoned project to construct a canal all the way up to the centre of Oeiras. To end, we walk past the Fortes de Catalazete and Areeiro and discuss their origins and contemporary use, before returning by the same route.
COVID-19 restrictions: This activity will be entirely outdoors and to comply with government restrictions, the use of a face mask will be obligatory and there will be a maximum limit of twelve participants – with places being limited to Members only. Applications will be treated on a first-come-first-served basis.
Meeting Point: in front of the Luar da Barra train carriage bar, which is situated just off the Marginal road in the top car park before the descent to the Oeiras Marina. Parking is ‘pay-and-display’.
Price: Free Entrance – Members only.
Booking a place: Please apply for a place by E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 18th June, stating your full name, mobile ‘phone number, and date-of-birth (for insurance purposes).
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER