Canon John Humphreys
Lisbon and OPorto Factory Houses, British Merchants and Ec. Relations
Until its abolition in 1814, the English Factory in Lisbon was legally recognised to represent the British community and its interests. For many years the merchants met at the house of the British consul in the fashion of a gentlemen's club, enjoying special privileges, which were secured by a serious of treaties, beginning in 1640, between Britain and Portugal. The treasurer of the Factory held the most important position within the British community after the consul. By tradition, the treasurer was always the most senior member of the Factory. But what happened when the most senior member did not want this honour?
Read full article here
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER