Gerard de Visme, a British merchant in Lisbon of Huguenot descent, rented the estate of Monserrate in Sintra and built a castle in the neo-gothic style, which was new to Portugal. Beckford lived here and the estate was visited by Byron in 1809. Sir Francis Cook (a textile magnate) acquired the property in 1856 and built a new palace which was completed in 1869. Sir Francis was later given the title of Visconde de Monserrate. The family late sold the estate in 1946.