Founding of the “The Lisbon Athenaeum” forerunner of the Royal British Club. First chairman was Canon Pope. It was situated at 6, Rua das Gaivotas near Conde Barão. It then moved to Palácio da Rocha do Conde de Óbidos in 1903 (now the Cruz Vermelha) where it was formally visited by king Edward VII during that same year when it was styled Royal British Club.
The British Historical Society of Portugal is a Society with about 250 members and has as its object to recover, preserve and collate as much as possible of the history of the British in Portugal, and to promote interest in the History of Anglo-Portuguese relations.
More information can be found on the about page.